Thursday, June 30, 2011

My First Loaf



It's official I have baked bread in the world's tiniest oven, it happened! I don't know what it is about making bread that intimidates me more the timing, activating the yeast, who knows it seems best left for the experts. This summer I have been into tackling new ways of being more resourceful in our home. Spend less make more is my attitude or better yet just learn to do more things yourself. So when I picked up Jenna Woginrich's book Made From Scratch Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life on a whim at the library I knew I had to pursue my little diy endeavors. This book totally speaks to me, Jenna's writing is funny, informative and motivating. Her book shows an honest and accessible way to create what she refers to as her own "Homestead". There are true accounts of failure and triumph on topics such as home sewing to raising chickens. When I read her chapter on the country kitchen and her recipe for bread I finally felt confident to attempt the adventures of bread making. And guest what? I totally have two whole loafs of bread made from scratch sitting on my cooling rack. I am totally having french toast in the morning!  
Also check out Jenna's blog here.

No comments: