Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Dinner: A Middle Eastern Spread

Greg and I got home from the grocery store a little late last night and I felt exhausted. (i.e. allergies in Austin are like a freight train to my face) and I wanted to make a really nice comforting meal something that resembled Morocco. So I came up with this little spread of home made hummus, Mujaddara, zaatar bread, olives, and of course wine! It came out so good and you would be surprised how easy it is to cook all these delectable dishes. So I thought I would share with you my recipe for what I consider the best hummus a white polish/italian/irish mutt can make and believe me she, I mean I, can make a pretty good hummus.

Laura K A's Hummus

1 Can cooked Chick Peas drained
1 Whole Lemon juiced
2 Large Garlic Cloves, minced
3 heaping spoon fulls of Tahini
1 tablespoon of Cumin
1 cup Water
1/2 cup Olive Oil
A shake of Paprika for garnish

In a blender add half of the chick peas and about a half a cup of water. Blend until smooth, you will have to stop the blender a few times to scrape down the sides. Once mixture is smooth add the rest of the chick peas and continue to blend until smooth, you may have to add some more water, just be patient and work in shifts of scraping and blending. Once the chickpeas are smooth add Tahini and blend until combined. Then add lemon juice, cumin, garlic, and olive oil and blend until smooth if you want the hummus to be thinner add more water as you see fit. Pour mixture into bowl and garnish with paprika. Serve with warm pita.



2 comments:

heidi said...

come cook for me! everything looks so fresh & yummy. i'm going to try the vegan mac & chz next week [or as soon as the weather cools]. but be warned, i may add a meaty product. evil.

Laura K A said...

haha you are too funny. I hope you do try it though it's delish! Hope every one is well <3