Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sushi Night!



Last night I made veggie sushi for Greg, Bryant and I and I must say that it turned out pretty good. Sushi is pretty hard to make and there are a lot of steps involved to make it come out right. I am starting to learn to read directions and do things "by the book" which if you know me that is not something I enjoy doing. I still have some kinks to work out but here is my recipe for veggie sushi!

You will need:
Sushi Rice Cucumber
Rice Wine Vinegar Red Bell Pepper
Salt Carrot
Sugar Pickled Ginger
Sushi Mat Wasabi
Very Sharp Knife Soy Sauce

Rice:

3 cups sushi rice (short grain sticky rice)
-Put rice in a large bowl and run cold water over it swishing it around in a circle, then drain as much of the water as you can. Do this about 4 times until the water comes up clear.
-Transfer the rice in to a large pot and add 3 + 3/4 cups of water let sit for 30 mins.

In the mean time make sushi vinegar. This is what make the rice taste like the real deal.
-1/2 cup rice wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a sauce pan combine ingredients on medium heat until sugar is devolved. Take off heat and let sit.

Cover rice and turn on High, bring to a boil. With out letting to much steam out check rice. Once at a boil reduce to simmer medium low heat and let cook with lid on for 15 mins. After that turn heat of and let steam for another 10-15 mins. with lid on. Once cooled down transfer it to wooden bowl if you have it and gently fold in sushi vinegar. let rice cool to room temp.(you can also put it in the fridge).

Veggies
-Cut Half of a Cucumber, Red Bell pepper, Carrot, and Avocado in to small strips for filling.

I would explain the whole art of rolling the maki but you should just watch this youtube video because thats what I did! Enjoy!

2 comments:

heidi said...

that. looks. awesome.

Laura K A said...

Thanks Heidi!